This lemon madeleines recipe makes a perfect treat for mum on Mother’s Day. They are sweet, gently crisp on the outside, light and delicious and best served warm with home-made lemon curd.
Makes 6 portions
- 3 large eggs
- 150g caster sugar
- 150g plain flour
- 48g lemon juice
- 2 x lemon zest
- 1½ teaspoons of baking powder
- 150g unsalted butter
- Whisk eggs, sugar and lemon zest until frothy.
- Melt butter and add lemon juice then slowly mix all ingredients to the egg mixture.
- Brush the madeleine tray lightly with melted butter and then coat in flour.
- Leave your mixture to rest for 20 minutes then pipe into your prepared madeleine moulds and cook for 10 minutes on 180°C.
- They are definitely best enjoyed shortly after they come out the oven
These lovely Madeleines call for being dipped in home-made lemon curd and, it’s something that is never the same when shop-bought.
Lemon Curd Ingredients
- Grated zest & juice of 6 large lemons
- 6 large eggs
- 525g caster sugar
- 1½ tablespoons of cornflour
- 340g unsalted butter – room temperature
- Begin by lightly whisking the eggs in a medium-sized saucepan, then add the rest of the ingredients and place the saucepan over a medium heat.
- Now whisk continuously using a balloon whisk until the mixture thickens – about 7-8 minutes. Next, lower the heat to its minimum setting and let the curd gently simmer for a further minute, continuing to whisk. After that, remove it from the heat. Now pour the lemon curd into hot, sterilised jars, filling them as full as possible, cover straightaway with waxed discs, seal while it is still hot and label when it is cold.
- It will keep for several weeks, but it must be stored in a cool place.
- To sterilise jars, they should be washed in mild soapy water, rinsed and dried and heated in a medium oven for 5 minutes.
These lovely Madeleine’s are available on our menu in Hart’s Kitchen. Pop in and try them soon.